CALIFORNIA, Mo. (ABP) — A Baptist pastor charged with sex crimes stands trial in early December in a county court in California, Mo. Travis Smith, pastor of First Baptist Church, Stover, Mo., faces felony charges of sodomy and statutory rape in a high-profile case that gained media attention after church members stood by the pastor acquitted of similar charges in 2011. Smith, 43, pastor of the church since 2006, stands accused of having inappropriate sexual contact with multiple females under 17, the age of legal consent in Missouri. Eighty potential jurors were summoned for jury selection, which is expected to get underway Dec. 3 with the trial anticipated to run Dec. 4–5.
- Alabama Baptists called to prayer over concerns about controversial student group at Samford University
- Great Commission Globe ready for University of Mobile graduates
- JD Greear headlining Alabama Baptist Pastors Conference in November
- Controversial student group at Samford one step closer to approval
- Keeping children safe in digital world topic of March seminars in Birmingham